Max Planck Institute for Infection Biology, Berlin
Immunobiology and Infection Biology & Medicine
Type of Job
Postdoc - Bioinformatics
Job offer from October 19, 2017
The Max Planck Unit for the Science of Pathogens (to be established, head: Prof. Emmanuelle Charpentier) is seeking a Postdoc (Bioinformatics) for a full-time employment (39 hours/week) for initially 2 years.
- Bioinformatics projects related to –omics data analysis to identify and analyse novel regulatory RNAs and proteins, and their expression profiles in infectious processes by bacterial pathogens.
- To translate the extensive datasets into knowledge, the candidate will apply the latest existing analysis tools from the RNA-Seq and/or proteomics field and will be encouraged to develop new tools and bioinformatics pipelines for –omics data and design her/his own project.
- The successful candidate is expected to provide bioinformatics and statistics support to wet-lab scientists of the Department.
- The successful candidate will be in constant connection with microbiology and infection biology-related questions. In silico findings will be verified in functional experiments, thus leading to translation of the bioinformatics data into novel biological findings.
- experience in analyzing –omics data, in particular RNA-Seq and proteomics
- knowledge of bioinformatics data analysis pipelines
- excellent Python and R programming skills
- experience with Unix/Linux operating systems and scientific computing
- very good knowledge and understanding of statistics Excellent English communication skills (written and spoken)
- PhD in bioinformatics, computer science, applied mathematics, statistics or related area
- a proven record of successful publications in highly respected international scientific journals
- ideally some experience in biology related questions
- experience in providing bioinformatics support and collaborating with wet-lab scientists
- ability to work independently and as part of an international team
- a profound interest in all research topics of the Department
- we expect a person who is self-motivated and enthusiastic to work in a competitive, dynamic, stimulating and interacting international scientific environment focusing on basic biological research.
- experience with analysis of RNA sequencing from bacteria will be considered as an advantage
- an international post-doctoral experience abroad is considered as an advantage
According to the training, qualifications and professional experience, the remuneration can be up to pay level E14 of the collective wage agreement for the civil service (TVöD (Bund). The position is available at the earliest possible date.
The Max Planck Society is committed to increasing the number of individuals with disabilities in its workforce and therefore encourages applications from such qualified individuals. Furthermore, the Max Planck Society seeks to increase the number of women in those areas where they are underrepresented and therefore explicitly encourages women to apply.
Applications will be accepted exclusively via our online application portal. If you are interested, please follow the link and upload your full application in English by 30th November, 2017 to our online application portal.
Max Planck Institute for Infection Biology
Max Planck Unit for the Science of Pathogens (to be established)