Our application platform is now open!
Welcome to the application instructions for the IMPRS-IDI call 2020.
Please carefully follow the instructions given below:
- Our online application platform will open on September 24th 2019
- Application deadline will be October 28th 2019
- Invitation to the assessment week will be sent out in December
- Assessment week: January 20th-24th 2020
- Final selection: February 2020
- Beginning of projects: between March and October 2020
Applicants must hold a German Master (MSc), a German Diploma or an equivalent international degree in biology, biochemistry, bioinformatics, chemistry, or other related subjects. It is not necessary to hold the degree at the time of your application, but you will need a few weeks before you begin to work with us.
In rare instances and only for exceptional students, we accept applicants with a Bachelor's degree. For these students we offer a tailor-made preparatory program, which allows them to attend lectures and practical course to qualify for the doctoral phase. Some knowledge of German may be required for the preparatory program.
The language of our school is English. Therefore, all our doctoral students must have a very good command of English.
How to apply?
We only accept applications via our online application platform. This platform is a "one-step" application system. You will not be able to save the application form in between or upload documents later. Please have all the relevant information and all documents ready once you enter the application process!
To be prepared, please read the following instructions:
- The online application form must be completed in English only.
- Your email address and postal mail address must be up to date!
- All fields marked with an "!" are required information. Fields marked with an "*" are limited in terms of characters accepted.
- In section 4 "References" you will have to provide the contact details of two referees that support your application. Our system will inform your referees automatically shortly after your application has been submitted. Make sure, there are no typos in the contact details - otherwise, the system cannot contact them. Please pick your referees carefully and inform them about their role. Please be aware that your referees will only have time to submit their references until October 31!
- You can choose your research group preferences according to the project descriptions in section 5. The pulldown menu allows you to choose faculty members that offer a project within this round of recruitment. The order of your choices is interpreted as a tentative ranking. However, it does not limit your choice at a later stage! Once you are invited to our assessment week you will have the opportunity to meet all faculty members that offer a project.
- The section 5.2 "Motivation and career plans" is one of the most critical parts of your application! You should clearly communicate why you are an ideal candidate for the IMPRS-IDI. Please comment also on your plans for your professional future. Here it is very important to be specific, meaningful and concise!
- At the end, we ask you to upload a single PDF document containing your CV, high school diploma, university certificates and transcripts and other supporting documents (such as GRE certificates, language tests, prize) in that order. The file should not exceed 10 MB. Please do NOT send thesis abstracts, posters or other documents of minor importance. Application documents that do not meet these criteria may be disregarded by the system.
- To submit your application, click the button "START".
Successful submission will be confirmed by email shortly after submission. You will not be able to change anything after this point.