Job Code: 435-2022
Job offer from May 12, 2022
The Max Planck Institute for Infection Biology (MPIIB) in Berlin-Mitte is an institution of the Max Planck Society for the Advancement of Science and is one of the leading research institutes in the field of immunology and infectious diseases.
The Infection Disease Epidemiology research group of Matthieu Domenech de Cellès at the Max Planck Institute for Infection Biology in Berlin is offering a Post-doctoral position (m/f/d) on mathematical modeling of epidemiological interactions between respiratory viruses for a project starting in the last trimester of 2022.
There is growing experimental evidence that many respiratory viruses—including SARS-CoV-2, influenza viruses, and respiratory syncytial viruses—can interact, such that their epidemiological dynamics may not be independent. This project will aim to estimate the epidemiological interactions between common respiratory viruses and to predict the consequences of these interactions for infection control and public health. This project will continue a line of research already established in the lab (see, for example, https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/34950537/ and https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/35016540/).
- PhD with a background in a quantitative discipline (e.g., mathematics, statistics, physics). Applicants with a background in biology or medicine may also apply if they can demonstrate significant experience with quantitative approaches.
- Research experience of working with dynamical models (ideally infectious disease models) and with statistical inference techniques (e.g., trajectory matching, particle filtering and iterated filtering method, MCMC).
- Fluency in a statistical programming language (preferably R).
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills. The working language of the laboratory is English.
- Keen interest in biology (especially virology), epidemiology, and public health.
- Outstanding research and training opportunities with access to state-of-the-art facilities.
- An excellent scientific network.
- A stimulating international and multi-disciplinary research environment on a thriving campus in the heart of Berlin.
- A full-time position with excellent benefits, with renewal up to 4 years.
- Compensation with all public service benefits under the Collective Agreement for the Public Sector (TVöD Bund) depending on qualification and transfer of tasks up to pay group E13 TVöD (Bund).
- Supplementary old-age provision by the Versorgungsanstalt des Bundes und der Länder (Federal and State Pension Fund).
- A discounted ticket for local public transport can be obtained.
As an equal opportunity employer, the Max Planck Society is committed to employing more individuals with disabilities. We, therefore, encourage individuals with disabilities to apply. The Max Planck Society also strives for gender and diversity equality. We welcome applications from all backgrounds.
Interested in joining us?
Applications will be accepted exclusively via our online application portal.
Please upload your full application in English (cover letter, complete CV and name of at least 2 references). The position is open immediately and applications will be evaluated continuously until filled.