Welcome to our Institute

Visa regulations to enter Germany

Citizens of the EU and EEA (European Economic Area) do not require a visa to enter Germany. All other foreigners require a visa (d-type) for entering Germany. Please contact your local German Embassy as early as possible and apply for an initial, temporary single entry visa. If you want to return to your home country within two months after you arrived in Germany you need to apply for a multiple entry visa. Do not apply for a tourist visa, because this is not sufficient and would require that you return to your home country after a few months!

Travel insurance including medical care

Before you travel to Berlin please check with your health insurance if you have medical cover when you travel to Germany. If you are not covered you should take out travel insurance from any standard insurance company in your home country to cover at least your medical care during your journey and the first days in Berlin.

Where to stay in the first days or weeks

The Max Planck Institute for Infection Biology has its own guest house providing temporary accommodation. You may require this for the first days or weeks which will give you time to look for a permanent place to live (see housing). You can contact us if you require a room or an apartment and we will make reservations for you. Please bear in mind that the guest house is very popular so inform us as soon as possible and before you travel to Berlin otherwise it may already be fully booked and you will not have anywhere to stay.  Information on apartments in the guesthouse of the Max Planck Institute for Infection Biology can be found here:

Important documentation for your stay in Germany

You will need the following documents for your stay in Germany

  • A valid passport or equivalent identity card
  • A visa if required, including for accompanying famliy members. For information about visa and entry requirements, please contact the Germany embassy or consulate in your home country. You can also check here
  • Birth certificate
  • Marriage certificate
  • Vaccination certificate, any medication required, medical docuements if necessary
  • Doctoral degree certificate
  • PhD candidates only: School education certificates (university entrance qualification), university certifices (Bachelor's degree, Master's degree, academic transcipts

Go to Editor View