Residence Permit (“Aufenthaltserlaubnis”)

Citizens of the EU or EEA do not require a residence permit or entry visa.

You need to have a visa which allows you to work at our Institute from the first working day on. Usually, you arrive in Germany with a visa for research which is valid for a couple of months. At least 8–12 weeks before your visa expires, you need to apply for a residence permit at the immigration office. Once you have received your residence permit, you need to hand over a copy to HR. Please note that it can take up to 3 months to receive your permit, so you should apply as soon as possible. Please keep in mind that your fellowship/salary cannot be paid without a valid residence permit!

Scientists with a MPIIB contract or MPIIB scholarship may use the service of the International Office to get assistance with preparing all necessary documents. Furthermore, submission of the completed application for a residence permit to the Immigration Office will be done for you through the International Office. All documents should be ready for submission to the Immigration Office at least 8–12 weeks before your current visa expires.

Documents required to apply for a residence permit (PDF copies, not larger than 10 MB in total):

  • Passport
  • Current visa
  • Contract (first contract and extensions, if applicable)
  • Health insurance certificate
  • University degree(s)
  • Salary slips (from the past 6 months / or if shorter: from the start at the MPIIB)
  • Rental contract
  • One biometric passport photo, please write your name on the back
  • Anabin excerpts of the university degree
  • "Anmeldebestätigung"
  • CV
  • Application form

Note: Please apply for the extension at least 8–12 weeks prior to the expiry of your current residence permit!

Go to Editor View